Thursday, January 6, 2011

"Sometimes I wake, and, lo, I have forgot" (poetry from an Original Orthodox Rebel)

The following are sections from George MacDonald's devotional Diary of an Old Soul:

"Sometimes I wake, and, lo, I have forgot,
And drifted out upon an ebbing sea!
My soul that was at rest now resteth not,
For I am with myself and not with thee;
Truth seems a blind moon in a glaring morn,
Where nothing is but sick-heart vanity:
Oh, thou who knowest, save thy child forlorn.

[...]

"Thy fishes breathe but where thy waters roll;
Thy birds fly but within thy airy sea;
My soul breathes only in thy infinite soul;
I breathe, I think, I love, I live but thee.
Oh, breathe, oh, sink--O Love, live into me;
Unworthy is my life till all divine,
Till thou see in me only what is thine."

No comments:

Post a Comment