Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cormac McCarthy's take on Relativism (midwestern common sense vs. muddle-headed pretentiousness)

The following is from the opening of section five from No Country for Old Men.

We come here from Georgia. Our family did. Horse and wagon. I pretty much know that for a fact. I know they's a lost of things in a family history that just plain aint so. Any family. The stories gets passed on and the truth gets passed over. As the sayin goes. Which I reckon some would take as meanin that the truth cant compete. But I dont believe that. I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt. You cant corrupt it because that's what it is. It's the thing you're talkin about. I've heard it compared to the rock--maybe in the bible--and I wouldnt disagree with that. But it'll be here even when the rock is gone. I'm sure they's people would disagree with that. Quite a few, in fact. But I never could find out what any of them did believe.


No comments:

Post a Comment